Friday, October 31, 2008

The way I see things

The point of this poem is not meant to bring you down,
Nor is it sarcastic or witty, ill leave that for a clown,

Just give me a moment of your workaday life,
And Ill give you some data about peoples worry and strife,

I could go on a banter about McCain or Bush and even Obama,
But that’s for another time – this is for everyone else and their mama,

Let’s talk about situations that need solutions like a baby needs milk,
Like to get a full tank of gas, means you must have come from good ilk,

Or what about the fact that the worlds fastest growing island out in the Pacific,
Happens to be made with plastic bottles and other trash to be more specific,

That’s right - its floating out there near Hawaii and Papa New Guinea
It’s the size of Texas so all you green people should do more than buy that hybrid new Mini,

Or what about education and that we (USA) were named #18 by the UNICEF committee,
That’s quite a statement when we are supposedly the best country with all the best cities

And if you read that report I’ll bet you’ll find something in there,
That made me start thinking (which used to happen in this country a fair share)

So this is what it is that I found that made me realize and I was then off and running
The report finds that educational success or failure is not directly linked to funding

It has been estimated that 40% of Americans are on some kind of medication,
What happened to the good ole days when it was all about god and meditation?

Look, if all that would happen is you took the pill and it did what was stated,
Then I would bring up another topic and let “big pharma” go on unabated

But ladies and gentlemen I am sorry to tell you,
That some of the drugs were designed just to sell you,

I’m not talking about blood thinners and drugs of that kind,
I’m talking about Prozac and Rittilin that destroy your own mind,

So pay attention to me now as I have something rather unsoothing,
Those Psychiatric drugs were in the kids involved in school shootings

There is a silent epidemic that must be put to an end,
For it’s up to us now as god himself will not mend,

But just like the planet Saturn with its many turning rings,
These issues orbit me as well, It’s the way I see things

© Montana Spencer 2008

No comments: